- Howell Carnegie District Library (314 W. Grand River; 517.546.0720) ~ Hours: Monday–Thursday (10am-8pm), Friday-Saturday (10am-5pm). Kids can earn points (1 minute of reading is worth 1 point) by reading/listening to books, audio books, magazines, or graphic novels. For every 100 points, kids get tickets for a prize drawing. Earn 1,000 points and receive a finishers medal.
- Barnes and Noble Summer Reading Triathlon ~ Read any 8 books, record them in your Summer Reading Journal, and tell which part of the book is your favorite. Bring completed journal to a Barnes and Noble store between now and September 3rd and choose a free book.
- Howell Book Bus: we have transformed an old school bus into a mobile library that will travel around our community, offering free books to students. For sites and information, visit howellschools.com.
- Northwest families: Come to Northwest Elementary on Tuesday, June 19th and 26th, and August 7th, 14th and 21st at 6 p.m. for our Summer Reading Extravaganza! All children from birth-grade 5 will get a new book, ice cream treat, and the opportunity to listen to guest readers! Performers from the Community Theater of Howell will be reading in June, and sports stars will be reading in August. The Howell Book Bus will be there some of the nights as well. Come see your friends and share a good book! Thanks Northwest PTO for being a major sponsor of this event.
- Grand Rapids Academic Summer Program (GRASP) is a 9-week correspondence summer program in math and reading. Children receive a packet of material containing all nine lessons for the summer. The lessons are scored, results recorded, and returned to the children. Cost is $38 for one subject and $63 for both.
- Howell Carnegie District Library offers free programs for kids and families. Here are a few favorites (D= Drop-in; P = Pre-register):
- Mon 6/19 - (P) Saving, Spending, and Entrepreneurship, grades 3-5 (11:30-1:00)
- Wed 6/21 - (D) Young Engineers Club, grades 1-4 (2:00-3:00)
- Mon 6/26 - (D) Minecraft Playtime: Harry Potter World (4:00-5:30)
- Tues 6/27 - (D) Ask a Tech, adults (11:00-1:00)
- Mon 7/17 - (D) Outdoor Science, grades PreK-3 (10:30-12:00)
- Mon 7/24 - (D) Family Partner Yoga, ages 5-10 with adult (10:30-11:15)
- Wed 8/2 - (D) Paperbag Scrapbooking, grades 4-8 (1:00-2:00)
- Knit cute hats for chemotherapy patients - www.hatsoffforcancer.org
- Create greeting cards to send to troops overseas - www.amillionthanks.org.
- Distribute food at a food pantry - www.foodpantries.org.
- Help children with cancer by setting up a lemonade stand - www.alexslemonade.org.
- Find a penpal from a developing nation and send a backpack full of supplies - www.projectknapsack.org.
- Visit booksthathealkids.blogspot.com for contemporary book recommendations that address many issues facing children and families, including nutrition, divorce, grief, dog safety, moving, boredom, and sibling rivalry.
- Visit Livingston parent resources for information on child development, parent education, social groups, support groups, and child care.
- Salvation Army Summer Lunch/Dinner Bunch: enjoy a free meal and family fun at Challenger Elementary every Wednesday from 5:45-7:30pm. No registration needed. First come, first served. Lunch is offered on Tuesdays at 242 Church from 11:15-1:00pm . For more information and even more locations, call 517.295.4347.
- No Kid Hungry: text “FOOD” to 877-877 or call 1-866-3-HUNGRY for free summer meals and learning in your neighborhood.
- Howell Nature Center (1005 Triangle Lake Road) ~ Alexandria’s Naturescape and Treehouse, Wild Wonders Wildlife Park. Open daily from 10am to 5pm for self-guided tours. An entry donation of $5 for adults and $3 for children (ages 3-17) is recommended to tour the park. All proceeds support wildlife rehabilitation and education.
- Great Start Livingston Park Playdates are free and open to all county residents with young children! Join them 2-3 times a month for fresh air, socialization, and fun! The first one is Monday, June 18th at 10:30 at Genoa Park. For a full list, email HollyKupec@LivingstonESA.org
- Open swim at the Howell Area Aquatic and Fitness Center (1224 W. Grand River) ~ Cost: $4/child, $4.25/adult, FREE/children 3 & under. Open Swim: M, F (1:00-2:30pm).
- Michigan Activity Pass: Discover hundreds of local destinations and natural attractions with your Howell library card! You can "check out" FREE or discounted admission passes (or other exclusive offers) to hundreds of Michigan state parks, campgrounds, museums, trails, arts & cultural destinations, seven National Park Service venues, and more. Site will ask for your starting location and activities of interest, and will recommend tons of options and opportunities!
- Super Savers at MJR Brighton (8200 Murphy Drive) ~ Any movie offered before noon is only $5. For info, visit mjrtheaters.com or call 810.227.6327.
- Kidsbowlfree.com: sign up for free bowling at Bowl E Drome (907 E. Grand River) and only pay for shoe rental.
- Howell Nature Center (1005 Triangle Lake Road) ~ full-camp scholarships (grades 3-5) are available for Spirit of Alexandria Nature Camp - call 517.546.0249 for information.
- Salvation Army at Echo Grove: Adventure Trek (elementary) and nBtween Escape (middle school) offer swimming, boating, fishing, target sports, challenge course, climbing tower, arts & crafts, drama, nature study, hayrides, outdoor skills, group games, team sports & more. Camp is 3 -7 days depending on the camp and ranges from $20 to $100 for the entire time.
- For other local camp opportunities
- Visit commonsensemedia.org for independent reviews, age ratings, and other information about all types of media (movies, games, TV shows, books, apps, websites, and music)
- Abcya.com (math, reading, and thinking games)
- Sumdog.com (math)
- Storylineonline.net (stories read aloud to students by famous actors)
- Starfall.com (learning games)
- Raz-kids.com (reading)
- Mobymax (personalized learning activities)
- The Yuggler app allows you to discover, plan, and share kid-friendly activities based on current location
For more information, support, or to add other local activities, please reach out! Kim Martin (School Counselor) email@example.com