- Read the title.
- Look at the pictures.
- Read the captions.
- Think about what the story might be about.
- Think about what you might learn.
As you read
- Think about what is happening in the story to see if it is making sense.
- Check the words as you read, making sure the sounds coming out your mouth match up to the letters on the page.
When you get stuck
- If the story isn’t making sense, go back and reread a page or two.
- If you are stuck on a word:
- Go back and reread from the beginning of the sentence
- Slide through the word in big chunks
- Ask for help after several tries on your own.
- Retell to make sure you understand the story or information.